Gluten-Free Spicy Pork Samosas with Apple Chutney
These crispy pockets of perfectly seasoned ground pork adorned with sweet and savory apple chutney are simply sensational.
Makes: 24 samosas
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground pork
- 6 tbsp water
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- Dash of hot sauce
- 24 allergy-friendly rice paper wrappers, about 8 1/2-inch size
- 1/4 cup dairy-free, soy-free buttery spread, melted
- 3 Gala apples, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp thyme, chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
If you're not gluten-free and prefer to use phyllo dough for samosas: Stack 2 rectangular phyllo sheets (16 3/4 x 12 inches) and fold in thirds lengthwise. Brush with melted dairy-free, soy-free buttery spread. Place filling at bottom of a strip. Take left corner across filling to right side to form a triangle. Fold it over again, to form a next triangle, then take right corner across to left side and continue folding until strip is used up. Repeat with more strips (48 phyllo sheets in all). Place samosas on prepared sheet and brush with buttery spread. Bake until golden and crisp, 15-20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion until it softens, about 7 minutes. Crumble in ground pork. Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it begins to brown.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of the water. Stir mixture into meat, then add remaining water, maple syrup, ginger, coriander, salt, chili flakes and hot sauce. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until meat is cooked through and sauce has thickened, about 7-8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Dip first rice wrapper in a large bowl of water, then and lay flat on work surface. Fold in half and place 2 tbsp of cooled pork mixture in center. Form a fan shape, first by folding left edge over filling, 2/3 of the way into semi-circle. Now fold right edge back across covered filling. To complete a triangle, fold down open edge.
- Repeat process with each wrapper. Brush finished samosas with buttery spread and place on lined baking sheet, seam side down, with a bit a space between each. Bake until crisp, 25-30 minutes.
- For chutney, place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, about 30 minutes, until apples are tender and mixture is slightly thickened.
- Serve samosas alongside warm or room temperature chutney.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes