Gluten-Free Apple and Pear Crisp
This cinnamon-scented crisp is best served warm, topped with a scoop of your favorite allergy-friendly ice cream.
Makes: 8 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Apple and Pear Filling
- 4 apples, approximately 2 lbs (see Recipe Notes)
- 3 Bosc pears, about 1 1/2 lbs
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp cornstarch (see Recipe Notes)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup allergy-friendly GF flour blend (or wheat flour if not gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup gluten-free regular oats
- 6 tbsp cold dairy-free, soy-free margarine, such as Earth Balance, cut in cubes
• I like to use a combination of Granny Smith apples with one of the following varietals: honey crisp, pink lady, or gala.
• If corn is a dietary issue, use 2 tablespoons of arrowroot powder in place of cornstarch.
- For filling, preheat oven to 350° F. Peel, core, and slice apples lengthwise in 1/4-inch slices. Then cut slices in half, crosswise. You will have about 6 cups of apple slices.
- Peel, core, and slice pears lengthwise in 1/4-inch slices. Then cut slices in half, crosswise. There should be approximately 4 cups of pear slices. Place fruit in a large bowl and add lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cornstarch, salt, and maple syrup. Gently toss to coat fruit with spices.
- Pour mixture into a 2-quart (1 1×8-inch) baking dish. Set aside.
- For topping, add flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and oats to a medium bowl. Mix well.
- Using your hands or a pastry blender, cut margarine into the topping to pea-sized pieces.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over fruit.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, until fruit is tender, filling is bubbling around the edges, and topping is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let crisp rest for 10-15 minutes. Serve with allergy-friendly vanilla ice-cream or dairy-free alternative.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes